Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Pleiades


  As a followup to my last post, I went out the other night to try and see some of the meteors from the Orionid meteor shower.  Sadly, I was unable to see any meteors, probably due to a combination of light pollution and bad luck.  However, while I was looking for meteors, I did notice a small "blob" in the sky with 6 faintly visible stars in it.  The blob is question is actually the Pleiades, also known as the seven sisters.  The sisters are visible in winter in the northern hemisphere, so this is a good time of year to see them.

A question for the reader:
    Some time ago I heard that while there are 7 sisters, only 6 are visible to the unaided eye.  The reason cited at the time is that one of the sisters is shy, and can only be seen by those with a keen eye.  So, when you go out to stargaze, how many of the sisters do you see?

Note:  Pictures will be added at a later date, Google is being funny and not allowing me to add images.

Edit (11/07/2012):  Added images.  I don't know why (or how), but one of my firefox plugins wasn't agreeing with Blogger, and was preventing the posting of images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment